Soap Safety Guide
On this page I'm going to explain essential soap safety instructions that every soap maker must follow. Please, don't ignore these guidelines. Trust me; this fun craft can become somewhat dangerous if you're not careful.
Scared yet? Well, don't be. I guarantee that soap making will be one of the most enjoyable (and sometimes addictive) activities you will ever take part in. Just like anything else, As long as you take the necessary precautions and use common sense you will be absolutely fine!
Sign Up Today!
*Your information is SAFE with us!
Here are the basic rules that I personally follow for soap making safety:
- Understand the dangers of lye... Lye is an extremely caustic chemical that will burn your skin upon contact. It is always used for the cold process soap making method and the hot process soap making method. Do not let this chemical touch you in any way.
- Understand all other ingredients... Some other substances for soap making, like certain essential oils can be dangerous too!
- Be sure to wear protective clothing... In order to avoid any contact with lye, or any other harmful substance, wear rubber gloves, goggles, and extremely thick outer wear.
- Label all equipment "for soap making use only". This is especially important for gear made out of wood because of its tendency to absorb the dangerous chemicals.
- Always have a bottle of vinegar by your side. If you spill any lye, pour vinegar over the mess to neutralize the chemical.
- Eliminate all distractions... this includes children, pets and even spouses.
- Store all hazardous substances in a safe place. Make sure that it is far from the reach of any children.
- Be sure to educate your entire family about soap making, the potential dangers and how to practice soap safety.
- Finally, use common sense. You know... don't cut yourself, don't leave the work area unattended, don't burn yourself with the hot soap, etc.
The number one reason why people don't try to make soap at home is because they are afraid of the potential hazards. Don't be one of those people! Just take your time and be careful and you will be just fine.
Soap making is just like anything else... whether it's using bleach around the house or frying chicken with scorching hot oils, there are always slight risks involved. But don't worry, if you have common sense, and use my soap making safety tips as a guide, you will be able to enjoy this wonderful craft safely.